Rare 1902-S U.S. Philippines (USPI) Peso Double Struck Error Fantasy Coin
In 2019 and 2020, Daniel Carr minted fantasy-date 1902-S Philippine Pesos in Brilliant Satin and Proof-like finishes with Matthew Savanich of Panhandle Numismatics and USPI collector Robert Harris. The entire issue is rare with only 64 proof-like and 140 brilliant satin examples struck, however, a notable rarity is the double struck error, of which only 2 were struck.
This is documented by Matthew Savanich who wrote:
Two double-Struck examples were made during the process and this is the only one available to collectors, Mr. Carr owns the other.
This piece is accompanied by a signed insert:
Here's the full text from Matt Savanich's sale:
Up for Consideration: 1902-S/S/S US-Philippines Peso By Daniel Carr of the Moonlight Mint This example comes with an insert that is signed by Daniel Carr. Two double-Struck examples were made during the process and this is the only one available to collectors, Mr. Carr owns the other.
- Satin Finish
- S/S/S Mintmark designed from the 1909-S Peso variety
- Straight Serif "1" designed from the 1905-S Peso variety
- "2" of date designed from the 1912-S Peso
- Mintage of 2 Double Struck Examples
- Same specifications as host coins (90% Silver)
- Gem Quality
Note: Also available to collectors is the proof-like finish (mintage of 64) and the regular satin finish (mintage of 135) are also available to purchase within our store.
USPI collector Robert Harris and myself Matthew Savanich of Panhandle Numismatics partnered with Dan Carr of the Moonlight Mint to produce the 1902-S/S/S Peso. The Peso is a modern overstrike using a Denver Mint surplus press on genuine 1903-(P), 1903-S, and 1904-S Pesos that were in the VF to low AU condition range that had been cleaned, polished, or in some other way slightly damaged. A 1903 Proof Peso was used as the design model to enhance the details for the finished overstrike product. These will be listed in a special section of the 3rd edition of the Honeycutt book of Philippines medals and tokens due to release sometime in 2020. No US/Philippine coins were ever minted in 1902, first official issues started in 1903. These can be certified only by ANACS at this time. NOTE: These are not endorsed by the U.S. Treasury or the Philippines. Defacing of U.S. coins is legal so long as the defacement is not for fraudulent purposes.
- Savanich, Matthew. "1902-S US/PHILIPPINES PESO ~ DOUBLE STRUCK ~ MINTAGE OF 2 ~ DANIEL CARR". eBay / WorthPoint. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1902-philippines-peso-double-struck-2090150267. Accessed April 8, 2023.
- Carr, Daniel. "Moonlight Mint Printable Catalog Entry for “1902-S” Fantasy USA/Philippines Pesos – Production Blog". Moonlight Mint website. http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_31.htm. Accessed April 8, 2023.